Espaces, 4th Edition
Rendez-vous avec le monde francophone | James Mitchell, Cheryl Tano
Question? Contact your Modern Language Specialist
Espaces allows students to learn French and explore the cultures of the French-speaking world. Each unit treats vocabulary and grammar as tools for effective communication, and emphasizes cultural understanding as an important aspect of language learning and successful communication. Ideal for a 2–3 semester sequence, Espaces features 15 units, flexible enough to meet the needs of diverse teaching styles, institutions, and instructional goals. Features include:
- Exciting integration of culture through an exclusive video series as well as authentic TV commercials, short films, and literary selections
- A focus on communication, with guided vocabulary and grammar exercises, fosters student success while systematically developing reading, writing, and listening skills
- A rich, contemporary presentation of the everyday life of French speakers and the diverse cultures of the francophone world
- A visually compelling, easy-to-navigate design with graphic elements specially chosen to help students learn
- An articulated curriculum for a seamless transition to intermediate French
- Groundbreaking, text-specific technology specially designed to expand students’ learning and instructors’ teaching options, including:
- Interactive, animated grammar tutorials with questions to check understanding
- Partner Chat and Virtual Chat activities for conversation practice outside of class
- Live Chat tools—video chat, audio chat, and instant messaging to connect with students without leaving your browser
- vText—an interactive, online textbook that links directly with Supersite practice activities, audio, and video—perfect for hybrid courses
What’s new in Espaces, 4th Edition?
- New Musique à fond feature highlights francophone musicians
- New Flash culture feature complements existing Flash culture video segments
- Panorama section redistributed to highlight francophone countries and regions
- End-of unit vocabulary page redesigned to reflect A/B lesson vocabulary
- 4 new authentic Le Zapping television clips from around the francophone world
- One new short film: Qui de nous deux, directed by Benjamin Bouhana
- 2 new Lecture readings (with audio-sync technology on the Supersite)
- Vocabulary Tools: ability for students to personalize vocabulary study
- Searchable and customizable word lists with multiple practice modes
- Flashcards with options for English translations and audio
- Oral Testing Suggestions offered as Partner and Virtual Chats
- Task-based activities for class use or Integrated Performance Assessments
- Updated iconography to improve integration with online activities
- Options to adapt pre-made online assessments
- Create new sections
- Reorder and delete sections and questions
- Add images, word banks, and text references
- Improved navigation between lessons
- Option to choose to only see assigned activities
- Digital Image Bank, now with a thematically organized Illustration Bank for use in creating activities and assessments
- Enhanced True/False activities enabling students to provide an answer for false questions
What can you expect in each unit? Check out all the themes below.
Espaces, 4th Edition
Unité 1 Salut!
Unité 2 À la fac
Unité 3 La famille et les copains
Unité 4 Au café
Unité 5 Les loisirs
Unité 6 Les fêtes
Unité 7 En vacances
Unité 8 Chez nous
Unité 9 La nourriture
Unité 10 La santé
Unité 11 La technologie
Unité 12 En ville
Unité 13 L'avenir et les métiers
Unité 14 L'espace vert
Unité 15 Les arts
Student Edition with Supersite or Supersite Plus
- Hardcover format
- Loose-leaf format
- Digital format (online vText)
Student Activities Manual (print or online WebSAM)
For Instructors (free to adopting instructors)
Instructor’s Annotated Edition
Supersite Full Access: Includes online course management, assessment, instructor resources, and online communication tools
Simple. Powerful. Customizable.
With integrated content, comprehensive resources, and innovative tools, the Supersite provides everything you need to engage students and support language learning—all while making instruction easier.
Easy course management
A powerful setup wizard lets you customize your course settings, copy previous courses to save time, and create your all-in-one gradebook. Grades for instructor-created assignments (pop-quizzes, class participation, etc.) can be incorporated for a true, up-to-date cumulative grade.
Convenient options for grading include spot-checking, student-by-student, and question-by-question approaches. Plus, in-line editing tools and voice comments provide additional opportunities for targeted feedback.
Administer pre-built online quizzes and tests or develop your own—such as open-ended writing prompts or chat activities. You can also add your own text reference, image reference, or word bank to a section of a test.
Tailor the Supersite to fit your needs. Create your own open-ended video Partner Chat activities, add video or outside resources, and modify existing content with personalized notes.