While many Americans are dressing up in scary, funny, or clever costumes for Halloween this weekend, those of Mexican descent are preparing for another holiday: el Día de los Muertos. This two-day holiday may appear to be spooky on the surface, but it’s Mexico’s way of celebrating life and deceased loved ones. Watch this very informative video to find out more about the history of el Día de los Muertos !
News and events
Love listening to music while you study for your world language exam? Like reading interesting cultural articles and learning new and exciting world language facts? Then enter for your chance to win an iPod nano® and $10 iTunes® gift card! It’s super easy: like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.
- Must be 18 years of age or older to enter
- Must be a current college/university student currently enrolled in a world language course
- Must “Like” our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter within the declared time-frame (see below) to be eligible to win
- Entrants are only eligible from October 29, 2014 to November 5, 2014
- Entrants may only participate once; entrants may not “unlike” then re-”like” our Facebook page during the contest
- Entrants must be a fan of our page for the entire length of the contest
- Entrants are advised to check their Facebook privacy settings to ensure that they will be visible upon liking the Vista Higher Learning Facebook page (if we cannot see that you have “Liked” us, you will not be included)
- Winner will be drawn at random on November 6, 2014
- The winner must show valid and current student ID and proof of enrollment in a world language course in order to receive the prize
- If the original winner fails to present the aforementioned requirements, a new winner will be drawn at random
Apple is not a participant in or sponsor of this promotion.
“Preparation doesn’t guarantee success, but it increases the odds.” ‒ Scott Annan
Halloween is in exactly 1 week! We want to know what clever costumes all of you have planned for the evening so tweet us!
We love finding interesting cultural and educational content to share so take a look at what we found this week!
- From Es Momento de México: Incredible Flash-mob in Mexico!
- From Transparent Language: “10 Problems Only a Language Lover Will Understand“
- From The Washington Post: 24 Tips for managing a classroom
- From The Huffington Post: Teaching at 100
And don’t forget about all of the October conferences. This week we attended: